[arch-general] First Time Using AUR

Jim Pryor lists+arch-general at jimpryor.net
Wed Apr 14 09:20:03 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:12:11AM -0400, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I am getting ready to use my newly built Arch Linux system for the 1st
> time and use AUR and read the Wiki but I have a question that I am not
> clear on:
>
> Next choose an appropriate build directory. A build directory is
> simply a directory where the package will be made or "built" and can
> be any directory. Examples of commonly used directories are:
>
> ~/builds
>
> Now when I create the "~/builds" directory, does it matter if I do
> this in a regular user's home directory or in 'roots'? It is not very
> clear and I don't want to break anything or improperly build a package
> from AUR.

Safer to do it in a place that regular users can write to, and to do
all your makepkg-ing as a non-root user. You only need root privileges
for the actual install step. You could do a makepkg followed by a sudo
pacman -U packageyoumade-1.0.0-1-arch.pkg.tar.gz. Or you could do
"makepkg -i" in the first place, then makepkg will try to install the
package if it manages to build it successfully. (I think it will prompt
you for a sudo password at the end for the actual installation. Though
perhaps this is only in the makepkg wrapper I wrote on my own machines.)

--
Jim Pryor
profjim at jimpryor.net