[arch-general] ImportError: libssl.so.0.9.8: -- do I just rebuild the AUR packages?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Apr 15 13:52:13 EDT 2010

On 04/15/2010 12:02 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> After the latest openssl updates, the AUR packages for createrepo and repoview
> are failing. I know it must be the result of the openssl changes.

> "ImportError: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory"
>
> seems to be the primary error. I am not familiar enough with openssl to know if
> this can be cured by a simple rebuild, a symlink, or whether the openssl changes
> were significant enough to require a reworking of the AUR package by the
> maintainer. What say the gurus?

I don't know those packages, so can't speak intelligently about them
specifically.

As to the general question, though:

1) Try rebuilding the packages.  If you're lucky they'll build against
the new ssl.

2) If not, install the openssl-compatibility package from AUR.  It
provides openssl 0.9.8.  Repeat step 1.

And of course if you had to resort to step 2, you should probably enter
a comment on the packages' AUR pages about the problem.

HTH,

DR