[arch-general] How to get permanent network devices?

Dominik Schips dominik at s235.de
Fri Apr 16 11:40:41 EDT 2010

Hello,

Am Dienstag, den 13.04.2010, 18:03 +0200 schrieb Dominik Schips:
> Hello,
>
> I have three network devices (eth0, eth1 and eth2) in my system.
>
> Currently I use the networkmanager (Gnome) to configure my LAN
> connection. It is working good.
>
> My problem is that every reboot the device names are changing so
> somtimes my LAN device is eth0 next reboot it is eth2 .....
>
> I think this is done by udev. Can someone explain me how to get
> permanent device names every boot?
>
> I want to have eth0 as my normal LAN device, eth1 as a bridge device for
> KVM VMs and eth2 as bridge device connected to my DMZ for VMs.
>
> With virt-manager I can setup these bridges but if the device name
> changes every boot it is unpossible to use.
>
> Any ideas or advices for me?

Yust for others that will have a similar problem.

I had a deeper look at

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf#Networking

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mixed_Up_Devices.2C_Sound.2FNetwork_Cards_Changing_Order_Each_Boot

and setup a udev rule to get fixed devices. Now it works perfect as I
expect.

The Archwiki is always a good place to look at. ;)

--

Best regards

Dominik Schips