[arch-general] NDN Messages

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sun Apr 18 22:08:56 CEST 2010

It would appear that on Apr 18, Gary Wright did say:

> On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Mauro Santos
> <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it just me or is everyone getting something like this when posting to
> > [arch-general]:
> >
> > "Sorry. Your message could not be delivered to:
> >
> > Joey Kingery (Mailbox has been deleted. Try re-entering the address.)"
> >
> > It is not the first time I have received this and it does not seem to be
> > a temporary problem, is there any way to avoid getting this message or
> > solving the problem?
>
> I too have seen this and thought I had made a mistake somewhere along
> the address line.  That being said, it only happens when I use an
> email client (Thunderbird certainly and I think Evolution), not when I
> use Gmail directly to post.
>
> Weirdness.
>
> I'll see if I can find an old message and check the headers on it.

Well I'm glad it's not just me... But get this, I'm not even using a
"email" gateway to "post" to this list. (I'm using gmane's nntp mirror)
But almost every time I post to gmane.linux.arch.general, I get one of
the above...

It bugged me enough that one day when I had some time I used alpine's
header mode to look at the full header listing of one of those messages.
>From which the only thing I found that might be useful was the Message-id:
header which ended in hssd.net, google said that equaled Hot Springs
School District And there was a link that talked about email there
which said:

"Report problems or questions regarding this site to: webmaster at hssd.net. This website is best viewed @ 1024x768 or higher with Firefox3 or Internet Explorer ..."
www.hssd.net/index.php?q=node/13

So, since I felt particularly retentive that day I decided to be a pain,
& sent an email to said webmaster that said his site's auto responder
should know better than to send bounce notices to mailing list
subscription traffic. And that they should fix or replace it...

I also said that the only way I knew of to stop list mail from being sent
to "Joey Kingery's unspecified, deleted, mailbox would be if some admin
temporarily cloned the original address long enough to use it to
unsubscribe it from the list.

I did get an acknowledgment that somebody at hssd.net got my rant. But
I didn't really expect that they would do respond or anything about it.
{Which they obviously didn't...}

So it looks like unless somebody with admin privs on the list itself can
somehow divine the actual address that "Joey Kingery" subscribed with and
manually unsubscribe it, the only answer is something like a procmail
recipe routing such bounce messages to /dev/null... {sigh} whata
waste of bits... ;-(

--
|                                     ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook        <o>   <o>
|          J(tWdy)P                       ^
|     <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>               /---\   "bla bla bla..."

   At least I know my mouth is running, I just can't find the off button!