[arch-general] stability from pm-suspend ?

Ian-Xue Li da.mi.spirit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 05:27:46 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:57:35PM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply in advance.

> On the other hand, sometimes suspend is broken for some hardware.
> You should be able to observe this pretty easily for yourself. If,
> on the other hand, it looks like it's working, and if the system
> post-resume seems to be working just as well as the system
> pre-resume, then you should feel comfortable using it. After all,
> it's a great convenience!

I do have a USB mouse that won't work, usually reloading ehci_hcd does
the trick.

> (modulo security considerations, if you keep an encrypted disk and
> don't want people who get their hands on your computer to be able to
> read your data!  Or just login-password-wise if you're dealing with
> tech-ignorant friends.)

Security is indeed one problem I'm looking to resolve, because with
suspend, it goes back directly into the system, without having to enter
login/password...

I wonder if there's some way to achieve something like winxp, which
resumes back into the login manager, not the usable system itself.
But that would probably require a session manager as well, I don't know.

Nonetheless, another bizarre "problem" (quote because it doesn't really
affect ordinary use) is that after resume, there're duplicate "basic
system process" (I don't know how to put these) possessed by root.

E.g. watch `ps -eF', there would be two instances of such processes as
below.

[events/0]
[events/1]
[events/2]