[arch-general] 4k sector drives

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Apr 21 10:36:46 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 10:31 +0200, Uli Armbruster wrote:
> I can second that, I don't have Arch installed on a 4k drive but I
> have an external drive, which I partitioned with fdisk -c -u /dev/sdX
> and there's no speed drop at all, so you can use this command line
> without any worries

Some of these 4K drives export their sectors to the OS as 512 byte
sectors. If you happen to align your partition incorrectly then, every
inode read/write will result in 2 sectors being touched.
For drives that export their sectors as 4K units to the OS, there's not
a single issue.
Just be aware of this fact, I don't know how fdisk aligns stuff these
days, but for my SSD I chose to use parted.