[arch-general] gstreamer0.10-good-plugins need a whole load of GNOME stuff?

Hussam Al-Tayeb ht990332 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 11:43:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 19:28 +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 21/04/10 19:25, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> > On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:14:56 +0300
> > Hussam Al-Tayeb<ht990332 at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> Won't xfce be switching to "GNOME crap" like gvfs? :P
> >>

> > That's only an optional dependency for Thunar if I remember correctly.
> > I'm still trying to find out about that as I don't want to end up with
> > a whole bunch of GNOME libs to run XFCE.  If that's the case I might
> > as well go back to GNOME. My main beef with GNOME though is the Shell.
>
> Going off topic...  but if you do not want GNOME shell, then do not
> install it.  It sounds like the "old" GNOME panel will still be
> available as an alternative.
>
> Allan

gnome-panel no longer uses libgnome(ui) in gnome 2.30
Another good news there is a branch in git that replaces libbonobo(ui)
with dbus.
I see your point now. gnome-shell isn't usable so you're looking into
XFCE. But rest assure gnome-panel/metacity are going nowhere. And it's
only going to get better and faster when libbonobo(ui) is out of the
window.
Gconf is going to be replaced with dconf but not for gnome 3.0