[arch-general] gstreamer0.10-good-plugins need a whole load of GNOME stuff?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 16:59:17 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 14:26 +0100, Ananda Samaddar wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:19:47 +0200
> Philipp <hollunder at lavabit.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm with you on this, the gnome dependencies of this package annoyed
> > me a couple of times and is the reason why I avoid using gstreamer
> > wherever possibly.
> > A multimedia backend that depends on a specific desktop environment is
> > just broken.
> > I'm using no DE, why should I install gnome specific stuff?
> >

> I agree, a multimedia backend shouldn't depend on a DE.  Anyway I've
> switched my video and audio players to non-gstreamer based ones so I've
> sacked off creating a custom gstreamer compile.
>
> Ananda

>From J.G.C's response (and the package list given), saying that
gstreamer depends on the gnome DE is hyperbole. It depends on a few
gnome-related packages. Its also primarily (though not solely) used by
Gnome...

I appreciate the desire for a minimal system. What I don't understand is
the vilifying of packages just because they're part of a standard Gnome
install.