[arch-general] packman -S eterm [done] But: bash: eterm: command not found ????

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed Apr 21 21:49:15 CEST 2010

It would appear that on Apr 20, Nathan Wayde did say:

> On 20/04/10 03:56, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > Am I missing something obvious here???
> >
> Yeah, `pacman -Ql eterm | grep bin/`. The binary is Eterm (upper-case e)

"dou!"

I think I knew that once upon a time..., Why did I forget? Oh, I'll
bet I did something like this:

UnderTree =-> ln -s /usr/bin/Eterm  /usr/bin/eterm

I'm not surprised that I hadn't yet picked up on 'pacman -Ql' though...

However, now that I can start eterm, I've bumped into some other small
wrinkle that I don't understand...

I don't know if it matters, but I'm running E17 as a desktop via
startx from user account "jtwdyp"

if I type the Eterm (Or with the above symlink, eterm) from the run prompt,
or from an existing terminal it fires up an eterm, apparently as a login
shell. (I know this because my ~/.bash_profile mounts a user owned data
partition, and unlike xterm, konsole, or roxterm, the eterm starts up with
an error message about the partition being already mounted...

Why would Eterm default to that?

More significantly:
 (Note: my preferred way to get a root shell is via a keyboard shortcut
  that fires up a konsole window using a --profile having a background
  color that reminds me it's for root use, and a "-e su -c mc" Where my
  root account's .mc setups also includes distinctive panel colors for the
  same reason.)

But for some reason when I ^O my way to a bash shell from above described
root mc session and type "Eterm" A non-responsive eterm window opens with
an error message:

-bash: 11: Bad file descriptor

hunh? I suspect this is related to Eterm starting as a login shell, or
whatever causes the .bash_profile to be executed for it... But I'm
just guessing.