[arch-general] what is this supposed to mean ?

Matěj Týč matej.tyc at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 23:49:21 CEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 00:28 +0300, Evangelos Foutras wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Trying to do a complete system update, I get:
> >
> > error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> > cups: /etc/cups/printers.conf exists in filesystem
> > Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
> >
> > Certainly that file does exist, it probably has to
> > in order to make my printer work.
> >
> > But why
> >
> > - is this an 'error'
> > - does it block the update
> >
> > ???
> >
> > And
> >
> > - What do I have to do to enable the system update ?
> >
> > And
> >
> > maybe pacman could be a bit more informative in such cases ?
> >
> > Ciao,
>
> Please see the front page news. There are instructions regarding the
> CUPS update. :)

Regarding this, I have noticed that the printers.conf file in the
package was empty (I am like 90% sure)
Was it really needed to be included in that package?
The install script could touch one...
And I also think that it is not feasible to have to take a look at the
frontpage if you upgrade like once a month, but the package creator can
include a message in the PKGBUILD itself, so it doesn't seem to be a
pacman flaw.
Regards,
Matej