[arch-general] X server gets shifted to Ctrl+Alt+F8

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sat Apr 24 20:27:11 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how to call this issue, maybe that's the reason, why
I couldn't find anything on google nor in the bugtracker :(.

I'm using the X server with GDM (Gnome), which is attached to Ctrl+Alt
+F7 (btw: How do you call this?) during startup. Pretty normal. But as
soon as I restart the X server (using Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, but it doesn't
matter) the X server gets attached to the next free "combo", which is
quite obviously Ctrl+Alt+F8, whereas Ctrl+Alt+F7 shows just a blinking
cursor.

Interestingly this just happens once, so restarting the X server doesn't
change anything, it stays attached to Ctrl+Alt+F8.

I guess this could be known by some of you, I've experienced this on
different machines already, but due to the fact that I don't know how to
call this issue, I couldn't find any work-around.

So, first of all I would like to know, whether you can reproduce this?

Secondly I would like to know where the consoles are set up, so I can
set up a seventh console, so the X server will get started on Ctrl+Alt
+F8 in the first place. This has a different reason. My F8 key has a LCD
printed on it (as it is also a function key to switch the output between
the LCD and an attached monitor), so this would be a cool thing ;). But
I don't know whether this would fix my main issue, or if the X server
would then be shifted to Ctrl+Alt+F9.

--
Best regards,
Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de>