[arch-general] Crisp Rendering Fonts

Denis Kobozev d.v.kobozev at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:42:52 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:13 AM, Carlos Mennens <carloswill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any suggestion on Arch Linux running Gnome 2.6.30 to improve
> the crisp / clearness of my fonts? [...]
> It just never seems as clear and crisp when I compare side by side to
> Ubuntu or Windows 7.

I, too, have been on a quest to make my fonts look as crisp as
possible. It turned out that different people have different
definitions of "crisp". In a nutshell, you're either looking for
bitmap fonts, ms-ttf-fonts (which are raster fonts, but include
bitmaps for smaller point sizes) or cleartype fonts. I found Jonn
Gruber's article [1] to be the most enlightening about modern computer
fonts.

[1]: http://daringfireball.net/2003/03/antiantialiasing

Denis.