[arch-general] How to take screenshot of ring switcher ?

Dan Vratil vratil at progdansoft.com
Thu Apr 29 19:25:10 CEST 2010

Govindarajan<lists at itech7.com>wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I want to impress my friend by showing them the Windows 7 Look on Linux
> >> and persuade them to ditch Windows and use Linux.
> >>
> >> I have enabled compiz and some effects. Anybody knows how to take
> >> screenshot of the Ring Switcher ?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nilesh Govindarajan
> >> Site&  Server Administrator
> >> www.itech7.com
> >> मेरा भारत महान !
> >> मम भारत: महत्तम भवतु !
> >
> > The screenshot utility in Gnome should allow you to set a delay on the
> > screenshot.
> >
> > <soapbox>
> > The bling-bling of Compiz is a poor selling point for the real potential
> > of Linux, and I don't believe you should try to "persuade" anyone to
> > switch OSs.
> > </soapbox>

> I don't use GNOME (I don't have it installed, switched to KDE completely).

In KSnapshot (native KDE app) you can set a delay too.

> As far as I have seen, the moment people hear the name 'Linux' it
> reminds them of the console. They think, Linux sucks in GUI sometimes
> even they think it has no GUI. So this is important. Why do you think
> other mainstream distros like Ubuntu and Fedora spend so much time on
> Eye Candy ?
There is a difference between forcing users to switch to Linux (which I think
is a bad choice) and teaching them what is Linux today (GUI, tools,
choice...). It's not improtant that your friends will not use Linux, but they
will tell their friends the truth about current state of Linux and these will
tell their friends etc...and possibly, as this will spread there will be
someone who will try to use Linux and maybe will stick with it. I think that
this is the proper way how to spread Linux.
But maybe I'm just too optimistic :-)

Dan

--
Dan Vrátil