[arch-general] How to take screenshot of ring switcher ?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 20:49:58 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com> wrote:

> I know this is a silly reason, but this is the general trend I've observed
> dealing with people in real life and on the internet. They fear from using
> Linux because they think it has no GUI or it is bad.

Well that's not completely wrong.
Tell me how many people install/use/maintain an Arch system without
ever touching the command line ?

The kde+qt vs gnome+gtk separation doesn't help either for having a
coherent and consistent GUI experience.

Even Ubuntu documentation contains some occasional commands lines,
e.g. random example :
https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/keeping-safe/C/firewall.html#id2774297
A lot of ubuntu guide/tutorial often relies on the command line as well.

However all the big distrib have indeed made a lot of effort to
provide more and more GUI for every aspect of the system, and it
improved a lot in the last years. I don't know if a stupid compiz
effect is a good illustration of that progress, but well.

Anyway while it's true you can do a lot via a GUI on
ubuntu,fedora,suse,etc nowadays, what would Linux be without its great
and powerful CLI ?
I spend a lot of times every day using a linux terminal, and I just
love it. I miss it a lot every time I am forced to use windows.