[arch-general] [*] Re: How to take screenshot of ring switcher ?

Piyush P Kurur ppk at
Fri Apr 30 06:17:39 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:41:25PM +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> On Thursday 29 April 2010 10:10 PM, dave reisner wrote:
>
> I don't use GNOME (I don't have it installed, switched to KDE completely).
>
> As far as I have seen, the moment people hear the name 'Linux' it
> reminds them of the console. They think, Linux sucks in GUI
> sometimes even they think it has no GUI. So this is important. Why
> do you think other mainstream distros like Ubuntu and Fedora spend
> so much time on Eye Candy ?

  Wait for their machines to be infected by worms all over which it
will.  Partition their disk and put for them a clean GNU/Linux or BSD
system (Linux if they are into skyping etc). Use XFCE as wm. Not
Gnome/KDE, its too heavy and its slugginess will put people of.

Few more points

(1) Make sure that auto mounting of devices happen.
(2) Add icons for things like skype/ekiga/pidgin/firefox etc

No jazzy desktop effects are required.

This strategy had worked wonderfully with people who are not "power"
windoze users (parents, uncles, aunts, in-laws, grand mother
etc). Desktop effects only scare them off. For the power users you
might need compiz and all that. But then after conversion introduce
them to the tiling window manager like xmonad and programms like
screen, firefox + vimperator etc.

Regards

ppk