[arch-general] Better NILFS2 Support

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Sun Aug 1 14:30:05 EDT 2010

schrieb Dieter Plaetinck:
> >> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010
> >
> > 16:46:33 +0200

think that nilfs-utils should be moved to the base group. I

agree with

> > moving it to [core] but not to base, because base is

> > installed on every computer and packages in
the base

> > not listed in the depends
array of a PKGBUILD.

> > think there
could be some other file system tools

> and xfsprogs be removed from the base group (not

[core]).

> > think this explanation makes sense.  I just
found this back:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Base_Cleanup

> >> So
indeed, it

> > seems like the goal is to remove all non-essential
things

> >> (reiserfs, xfs,
> >
> > ..) from base.

probably should be automatically installed if a

> > partition is
> >

>> > formatted with one of these filesystems by AIF. But usually

people who

and know

> > that

installation.

> >> Actually
> >
> > it's fairly trivial to
"preselect" those packagas based on the

> >> filesystems
> >
> > used
during the filesystem step.  I believe some of it is

> >> already
> >

> > implemented in aif.
> >
> >> Dieter
> >
> > My 2 cents about nilfs,
>
> I have added it to
> > archboot environment some time ago.
integrate it into an installer it is
> > plain not usable, because the
kernel doesn't know it.
> > All usual filesystem
> > utilities like blkid
etc. don't recognize it.
> > Sure it will be an optional
> > filesystem in
the future, but it should be supported by the kernel and
> > major
filesystem and core utiltities in a sane way.

> Except that I've seen it
running on his root partition on a booting
> laptop without any of these
problems you speak of...

> -Dan
Yes sure i believe it works, my concerns
are more that the main tools just don't support it, which makes it imho more
complicated to implement the installation support.

greetings
tpowa
--

Tobias Powalowski
Archlinux Developer & Package Maintainer
tpowa at archlinux.org