[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Aug 3 01:55:53 EDT 2010

On 08/02/2010 11:39 PM, Tavian Barnes wrote:
> Because of KISS?  Pacman is a package manager, not a system administration tool.
>
> Imagine the story with a different daemon: SSH.  You ssh into your
> box, su, and pacman -Syu.  Halfway through the upgrade, openssh gets
> updated, which automatically restarts the server, which SIGHUPs
> pacman, which is left in an inconsistent state.

Thanks,

	That's all I needed to know. I'll keep a closer eye on the logs after update.
My post wasn't to imply that pacman 'should' do it, it was just meant as a query
of if it 'was' supposed to do it, it didn't :p

	I agree with the philosophy of having pacman NOT do it for any packages. There
is brilliance in KISS. Once a few packages 'start' doing it, then there is a
continual open question in users minds "Does package X have a post-install that
does it -- or not?"

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC