[arch-general] Unificate login credentials in Arch's website

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Aug 3 07:32:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:58:15 +0100
Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 09:35, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:23:49 +0300
> > jesse jaara <jesse.jaara at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I never understood why there is a need for openid when there are
> > client ssl certificates.  I never got why ssl client certs never
> > took off.  But maybe that's just me.
>
> Because it's a bit of a usability pain.  It works fine when the SSL
> cert is tied to a client *machine*, not so well when the SSL cert is
> tied to a *user*.

Still, unified logins is a problem we're having for years. and many
people have 1 main pc.  If browser programmers would implement a small
and easily accessible "account manager" which uses client ssl
certificates (and web server/application developers would make client
ssl certificates a bit more userfriendly) then we would have a much
better and cleaner unified login system then openid, as far as i can
see.

Dieter