[arch-general] package name foo vs libfoo (eg. clutter vs libclutter)

Andre "Osku" Schmidt andre.osku.schmidt at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 3 17:21:54 EDT 2010

Hello,

this may be a minor issue, but it's bugging me so much that i had to
write it here. and please link me to any previous discussion if this
was asked before, i was kinda lazy to really search and
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards didn't
mention anything about it.

is there any rule on how to name packages ?

lets take clutter as an example. it's named "clutter" everywhere in
upstream, git, tarball, docs etc. but, it only builds libraries, and
names those libclutter* (and really is only usable as library)

so why are these (or only this?) packages named foo and not libfoo ?

cheers
.andre

ps. im here to fix, not flame :)