[arch-general] Shouldn't pacman restart dovecot after update?

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Wed Aug 4 05:07:27 EDT 2010

Am Wed, 4 Aug 2010 09:22:41 +0100
schrieb Peter Lewis <pete at muddygoat.org>:

> WARNING: Constructive part of the post!! :-)
>
> > If you think you need a list of packages to remember where you
> > should interact, go on and create one your own.
>
> Absolutely, why not? If someone really wants to implement this, why
> not have a flag set somewhere that tells pacman whether you want
> "package hints" or something turned on. Then let packages set a one
> line package hint. Not for everyone, but some people with poor
> memories (like me) might find it useful.
>
> Patches welcome?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete.

Read again the Arch way: You make it what you want. We don't know if
you install a pkg like dovecot to work on its documentation, to code
stuff depending on its libs or headers or if you want to use it in
its main direction as a daemon.

Why should we make Arch more and more complex just to satisfy a few of
you with things that are almost self explaining???

If you run a daemon or application that gets upgraded it's first your
fault you didn't stop it before and 2nd your task to decide after
reading the Changelog/commit-list if you have to solve your mistake by
restarting the stuff.

-Andy