[arch-general] mayday - new updates killed httpd - make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Aug 9 06:00:00 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 04:49 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> [04:45 nirvana:/home/david] # rccups start
> /etc/rc.d/functions: line 303: .: /etc/rc.d/functions.d/functions.d:
> is a directory
> :: Starting CUPS Daemon
>                          [DONE]
>
>         Now how do I fix this in rc.conf to make sure cups doesn't
> screw me over again?
> Take http out of the background?
>
>         I've booted this box 15 times or so in the past 1.5 years and
> this has never
> been a problem until the updates tonight. What changed? How many
> others are
> going to get caught?

First of all, why don't you fix that annoying error
with /etc/rc.d/functions.d that pops up on every rc script invocation?

As for cups: the default cupsd.conf contains "Listen localhost:631" and
"Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock". I think your cupsd.conf contains an
entry for 443 also there. The problem with your setup is that your setup
relies on a failure: apache binds to https before cups can, so cups
doesn't bind to 443 anymore. Because you're using backgrounding, any
update to your system can interfere with timing and cause issues like
these if your configuration is not right.