[arch-general] mayday - new updates killed httpd - make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Aug 9 08:30:51 EDT 2010

On 08/09/2010 06:50 AM, Ng Oon-Ee wrote:
> I think I've seen this said to you before, but the responsibility for
> your box falls on you. JGC has answered your specific question, but I'd
> comment on the broader assumption you make that the package maintainer
> is responsible for your system in a specific manner. He is not.
>
> Archers need to know their systems. You seem to, to some extent.
> Therefore I don't really understand the request for (as I see it) a more
> fool-proof system. You're not a fool.

I agree with everything you said. The backgrounding issue was a bit surprising
having 2 identical boxes behave completely opposite due to a self-imposed bit of
cups Russian-roulette.

The request follows logically from what you have expressed. Archer need to know
their systems. When faced with unexpected behavior, I want to do my part and
understand what happened. Thus the question -- "What Changed?" More specifically
I guess would be "What changed in the updated packages such that cups went from
losing the race to grab port 443 for the past 18 months to suddenly 'winning'
the race for port 443 despite being backgrounded later in the DAEMONS line.

Logically something did it for cups to go from never getting the port to always
getting the port. That's what I was trying to learn and understand. I suspect
the only person that can answer that is the one of a few that know what
influences the port race and what change they made that would affect it.

Regardless, learning has occurred. An obscure cups setting has been changed,
lsof is better understood and my system is more robust as a result. A good start
to the day :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC