[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [staging] repository: Let's give it a try!

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 13:15:30 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:40:56 +0300, Evangelos Foutras
> <foutrelis at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't need to be mirrored. Developers have always had direct
>>> access to this, ask on the developer private list if you don't know
>>> the URL.
>>>
>>> -Dan
>>
>> Oh, neat. Can we, TUs, get access to it too? (Unless we already do and
>> I missed it.)
>
> ATM there wont be a need to have TUs access this repo. The main reason
> of excluding it from mirroring is to remove it later when we decide that
> this idea wasn't that great. We might think about mirroring it later
> though..its just the db file anyway as the packages will be kept in a
> pool. The only downside is that nobody should actually use that repo.
> (by thinking it would similar to Debians experimental)
>
> --
> Pierre Schmitz, https://users.archlinux.de/~pierre

I'm not sure what you mean with `at the moment', but if any rebuild
that affects [community] packages goes into [staging], TUs will need
access to it so the affected packages can be rebuilt. Also, it would
be desirable to immediately have access to the private mirror as this
eliminates any delay between the time when new packages get committed
to [testing] and the moment they reach the mirrors.

Anyway, Ionuț was kind enough to let me know of the URL in
#archlinux-tu. Other interested TUs can ask for it in the same
channel, I suppose.

PS: Package pools sound interesting! :)