[arch-general] bash - pathname expansion controls 'set -f' or 'set -o noglob' on broken?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Aug 13 02:39:01 EDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 01:32 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 01:15 AM, mike rosset wrote:
>> quote command arguments like you would normally do.
>>
>> ie. $ myscript "*pacman*"
>
> Nope:
>
> 01:32 nirvana:~/scr/arch/tmp> ./tst.sh "pacman*"
> Search: pacman-foo

Mike,

	I'm sorry, that was a short answer. My thoughts in this situation were that
partial or soft-quoting "" would not offer any additional protection that full
or hard-quoting '' did not already provide. From ABS:

     partial quoting [double quote]. "STRING" preserves (from interpretation)
most of the special characters within STRING.

     full quoting [single quote]. 'STRING' preserves all special characters
within STRING. This is a stronger form of quoting than "STRING".

	I'd run across this a couple of days ago on the pacman -Ss reformat script work.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC