[arch-general] Mailman update

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 13 08:01:08 EDT 2010

On 13/08/10 21:30, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
> At Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:20:32 +1000,
> Allan McRae wrote:
>>
>> On 04/08/10 15:37, Andreas Radke wrote:
>>> New version is in testing without a homedir for the mailman user. Please
>>> try to upgrade from last version in our extra repo. Tell us if I broke
>>> something.
>>

>> Has anybody tested the version of mailman in [testing]?   This will need
>> to be moved before the python rebuild starts so any reports of
>> successful updates would be good to have.
>>

> Hello, Allan,
>
> It works for me, but it would be good if you swap
> /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py and /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py should point to /etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py
>
 > Because of currently
 > tar czf etc.tar.gz /etc
 > does not backup mailman configuration.

This is in the PKGBUILD:
# Create a link so that the config file mm_cfg.py appears in config
# directory /etc/mailman. We don't put mm_cfg.py in the config directory
# because its executable code (python file) and the security policy wants
# to keep executable code out of /etc and inside of a lib directory instead,
# and because traditionally mm_cfg.py was in the Mailman subdirectory and
# experienced mailman admins will expect to find it there. But having it
# "appear" in the config directory is good practice and heading in the
# right direction for FHS compliance.

So it is a deliberate choice to put it there.  Fedora also does things
that way.  Debian and Gentoo do it the opposite.

So I am not sure what is the best here.   Could you just use -h with
your tar?

Allan