[arch-general] Some problems with a dell mini

Alexander Duscheleit jinks at archlinux.us
Sat Aug 14 11:06:59 EDT 2010

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:30:59 +0200
Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alessandro Doro <ordo.ad at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:56:33PM +0200, Andrea Crotti wrote:
> >>   Since I've read somewhere that is not a good measure, how do I
> >> know for sure if 3d is activated or not?
> >
> > glxinfo |grep "^direct rendering: "
>
> I already looked at that and I get "Yes"!
> But I can't believe it's so crappy to almost stop in tuxkart and
> sometimes being slow in opengl screensavers...

direct rendering is always "Yes" these days, because mesa includes a
software render which makes you CPU do all the work.

try: glxinfo | grep "^OpenGL"

here's what I get on my Intel Laptop:
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM GEM 20100328 2010Q1
x86/MMX/SSE2 OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.8.2

and here's what you SHOULDN'T get (from a VM with cirrus-vga):
jinks at edultsp:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

jinks at edultsp:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

(Note, that it still supports direct rendering, but uses the Software
Rasterizer.)