[arch-general] rankmirrors and new mirrrorlist format

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Aug 14 21:27:06 EDT 2010

One of the more important fields missing from many Linux distros mirror
lists is the geographical location field that would provide a country and
a state/province for each mirror.  That information is stored in some data
base on the internet, but not everybody who looks at a mirror list for the
first time is necessarily going to know which tool to send the list
through to get all those geographical locations appended to that mirror
list.  A guess on my part would be the whois data base but what command to
run to get the capacity the url, and the geographic locations out in a
mirror list and only get that information I don't yet know.On Thu, 12 Aug
2010, Jason Reardon wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 13/08/10 07:09, Jason Reardon wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Erik Johnson<archtaku at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  Can you post a copy of the output? I'm using reflector and rankmirrors,

>>> Here's my first six. The gatech one didn't have a package at one point,
>>> rankmirrors sorted the whole US list.
>>>
>>> Server =
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
>>> Server = ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
>>> Server =
>>> ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
>>> Server = ftp://locke.suu.edu/linux/dist/archlinux/$repo/os/$arch
>>> Server = ftp://lug.mtu.edu/archlinux/ftpfull/$repo/os/$arch