[arch-general] /etc/profile PATH variable wrong

Chris Brannon cmbrannon79 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 10:14:06 EDT 2010

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at shellworld.net> writes:

> In order for that to be correct it needs to also have :/usr/local/bin
> inside of the quote marks.  The /usr/local/bin directory on Linux
> systems like slackware and debian is where stuff gets put that anyone
> can execute that's on the system.

I suspect that /usr/local/bin is excluded from the default $PATH to
encourage good system administration habits.  I.E., all of the software
installed on a system should be managed by the package manager.
When I used Slackware, /usr/local was the dumping ground where I placed
all of the software that I built from source.  It was an uncontrolled
mess.  I'm really ashamed to admit it.
Keeping /usr/local/bin out of $PATH discourages people from using
./configure, make, make install as their package "management" procedure.

The hand-written, system-specific scripts pose a problem, though.  Does
anyone use makepkg + pacman to manage these?  Is it worth the extra
effort?

-- Chris