[arch-general] Update to 2.6.34.3-1 & LTS 2.6.32.18-1 killed dmraid box??

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 17 06:53:24 EDT 2010

David C. Rankin (2010-08-17 00:48):
> On 08/16/2010 10:17 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> >     After boot to the normal 2.6.34 kernel, the box kept automatically
> >rebooting itself - WTF? So I booted to the LTS kernel, which booted this time
> >and rebuilt the initramfs file with:
> >
> >/sbin/mkinitcpio -k 2.6.34-ARCH -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26.img
> >
> >     It completed successfully. Rebooting resulted in an error that the the
> >partitions were corrupt. So I attempted to boot back into the LTS kernel. It
> >failed as well?? So I rebooted into suse 11.0 which is on the other array. The
> >box booted into suse without any problems. I then mouted the Arch array and the
> >partitions are fine. (that's where the raid info above came from).
> >
> >     I don't know what is going on here. Kernel updates on this box have always
> >been uneventful. Tonight all hell broke loose. What could have caused Arch to
> >report the partitions were bad? More important, what do I do to get Arch back?
>
> When 2.6.34-3 starts, you only get the first few lines of the boot process like:
>
> root(1,5)
> bzimage.....
>
> it sits there for a while just doing nothing, then when it hits a
> timeout or something - boom it reboots.

Remove the 'quiet' option from the kernel command line and look for more
useful information (if you are using grub, press 'e' during grub prompt
and delete the word 'quiet').

> I was able to reboot into LTS so I have that, but the normal kernel
> is hosed. I'll hold off downgrading or jumping ahead into 2.6.35
> from testing to see if we can determine what is broken. That may
> help keep it from biting us again in 2.6.36. Let me know your
> thoughts on this. I'm stumped.
>
> Also, since this box has a nvidia graphics card, I get no X with
> LTS. The first time I asked (no too long after LTS came to life),
> the answer was you don't get X with LTS, it has no support. But I
> know X works now due to my laptop running X fine on LTS (radeon
> based). Is there any way this box will run X too? It would be nice
> to have in situations like this.  I didn't have to do anything to
> the laptop to get it to run X with LTS, what is the trick to get X
> working with LTS on this test server box? The video card is an
> nvidia 8800GT and I normally use the proprietary nvida module. Can I
> configure LTS to use it somehow? Rebuild the kernel module?
>
> The X issue is secondary to the boot fail issue, but I thought I
> would ask. As always any help would be appreciated.

If you need X only for testing, use a simpler driver:
  xf86-video-vesa
  xf86-video-nv
  xf86-video-nouveau (probably won't work with an older kernel)

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos