[arch-general] Some problems with a dell mini

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:29:46 EDT 2010

On 18 August 2010 19:25, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alexander Duscheleit <jinks at archlinux.us> writes:
>
>> direct rendering is always "Yes" these days, because mesa includes a
>> software render which makes you CPU do all the work.
>>
>> try: glxinfo | grep "^OpenGL"
>>
>> here's what I get on my Intel Laptop:
>> OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
>> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM GEM 20100328 2010Q1
>> x86/MMX/SSE2 OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 7.8.2
>>
>> and here's what you SHOULDN'T get (from a VM with cirrus-vga):
>> jinks at edultsp:~$ glxinfo | grep direct
>> direct rendering: Yes
>>
>> jinks at edultsp:~$ glxinfo | grep OpenGL
>> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
>> OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
>> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1
>> OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
>>
>> (Note, that it still supports direct rendering, but uses the Software
>> Rasterizer.)
>

> So then yes it doesn't work as expected.
> Following the guide online in theory it should work also with hal and
> dbus running (with intel-dri).
>
> Maybe I'll try a xorg.conf to see if it works or not, if anyone has one
> working with 3D for a dell mini it would be great...
> Thanks

I got a hold of the AspireOne. Plugged in my Arch-on-a-Stick and BAM!

3D is DEAD. Or, dying.

I'm giving up on this as a regression of intel/mesa, because some
months ago this same netbook played UrbanTerror on Ubuntu Netbook
Remix. I can't test it on that again, because I see that the owner has
rerwritten the disk with Windows 7.

God bless the Linux Intel GFX developers.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD