[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] kde 4.5.0

Martín Cigorraga martosurf7600 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 09:17:34 EDT 2010

It's good to see finally 4.5 will hit extra :)

>1) Sometimes, when I change settings in 'systemsettings' (forgot which
>ones, have to investigate again), kwin and/or plasma-desktop freeze and
>I cannot do anything but move the mouse or switch to VT.
>2) dolphin segfaults. A lot. All the time. It's annoying.
>3) I don't understand why, but starting xbindkeys with KDE's autostart
>is broken: When I want to use qdbus or dolphin from xbindkeys, nothing
>happens. When I kill and launch it again later, everything seems to work.

However if the problems reported by Thomas persist I would wait to 4.5.1
before upgrading - looking for smooth transition.

On the composite issue I have a workaround thats works pretty good. I'm one
of those
people experiencing artifacts problems with Catalyst 10.7-3 on an ATI
Readeon 5750HD.
For some time it was a habit to just push twice alt+shift+f12 after login
but now that's
gone. After searching for a fix to this issue I found a commandline hack to
automatically
disable and enable composite in the KDE forums:

$ qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing & qdbus
org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

So the trick was to put that in a script in ~/bin and tell KDE to run it on
every start-up
(a cleaner way to implement this will be welcomed).

Another optimization I'm using since a week or so without *any* problems
(with composite
and KWin working at their best) is launching plasma-desktop with the

--graphicssytem raster

argument. This solved the exasperating low speed when performing ceratin
tasks with plasmoids
on the desktop (like rotating folder view plasmoids and so on).
It works very nice with Yakuake too.

/usr/share/autostart/plasma-desktop.desktop should look like this (only
showing relevant part):
[Desktop Entry]
Exec=plasma-desktop --graphicssystem raster

Credits goes to a video on YT and the folks at Chakra forum.