[arch-general] 2.6.35-ARCH panic in VirtualBox 3.2.8-1

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 00:11:41 EDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 10:53 PM, Martín Cigorraga
<martosurf7600 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tonight I did a clean install of Arch in a VirtualBox VM and after updating
> the system I can't boot anymore because there's a kernel panic, see attached
> screenshot for the output error log [0]
>
> Ok, I was a dumb because I didn't make any snapshot before upgrading -was
> working well with ISO shipped kernel- nor made a backup of kernel files in
> /boot before blindly upgrade, but
> I think this a good time for ask you seriously consider implementing an
> automatic backup for kernel before upgrading to a new one (I know this had
> been treated no so much time ago in the
> list and that there's an active wiki about this topic).
>
> By the way, thanks a lot for fixing K3b so fast.
> Best,
> -Martín
>
> [0]  <goog_933442720>
> http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/7/2852027/My%20Documents/Screenshots/archvbkernelpanic.jpeg

I always have a backup kernel that I just built once, and never touch
to avoid these issues.
Kernel26-lts might be a good one to use for the backup kernel.

I think that having an automatic backup would just add unnecessary
complexity. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!