[arch-general] 2.6.35-ARCH panic in VirtualBox 3.2.8-1

Martín Cigorraga martosurf7600 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 14:15:24 EDT 2010

@Madhurya: actually I was ironic about that - please note I didn't wanted to
talk bad about *buntu-land, I myself get started in GNU/Linux thanks to
Ubuntu.
Of course adding features isn't wrong, but I used that word to name an
automatic process that goes straight against Arch's spirit if implemented at
a core level, and only realized that after reading Thomas reply - see this
link please [0].
There's a direct relationship between automation and simplicity: you can't
get both at the same time all the time. While an automatic system don't have
to be complicated per-se, it *will* take away your freedom and control over
the processes it executes again going against Arch's way. One ot the things
I like most of this distro is the plenty space it gives the user to do
virtually anything while remaining ultra poweful and easy enough to use
without stumbling with too much low level tasks in your daily use.

Personally I *allways* backup before any important/huge update/upgrade.
Anthony's proposed solution is cool, but until that finally arrives I think
that creating a simple script and putting it in the path will be enough to
backup kernels (also you'll need to add manually the menu entry to whatever
boot manager you use).

Regards,
-Martín

[0] http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way