[arch-general] Configuring dovecot 2 with sieve?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu Aug 26 09:03:13 EDT 2010

I've run into a slight problem with the configuration of dovecot after the
recent upgrade to version 2.

I used v1.2 with the sieve plugin[1].  But I can't get it to work with v2.0.

I've located the sieve plugin, now shipping with dovecot itself:

% tree /usr/lib/dovecot/modules|head -n 15
/usr/lib/dovecot/modules
├── auth
│   ├── libauthdb_ldap.a
│   └── libauthdb_ldap.so
├── doveadm
│   ├── lib10_doveadm_expire_plugin.a
│   ├── lib10_doveadm_expire_plugin.so
│   ├── lib10_doveadm_quota_plugin.a
│   └── lib10_doveadm_quota_plugin.so
├── lda
│   ├── lib90_sieve_plugin.a
│   ├── lib90_sieve_plugin.la
│   └── lib90_sieve_plugin.so
├── lib01_acl_plugin.a
├── lib01_acl_plugin.so

And I know how to configure the use of the sieve plugin in
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/15-lda.conf:

protocol lda {
  # Space separated list of plugins to load (default is global mail_plugins).
  #mail_plugins = $mail_plugins
  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins sieve
}

However, this doesn't work!  Running /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver results in the
following error message in /var/log/mail:

Aug 26 13:45:47 bryma dovecot: lda: Fatal: Plugin sieve not found from
directory /usr/lib/dovecot/modules

It looks like dovecot doesn't look for plugins in sub-directories!  So how do
I configure dovecot so that it finds it?

I've tried the following, none works:
  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins lda/sieve
  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins lda:sieve
  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins lda.sieve

Any ideas?

/M

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe