[arch-general] version control system for normal user

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu Aug 26 11:05:27 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Florian Pritz's message of 2010-08-26 16:58:39 +0200:
> On 26.08.2010 16:56, jewelshaw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >     I'm a normal user on a workstation, without root privilege. Usually, I
> > have to test and revise the source code,
> > while after lots of revisions, I get confused about what's new and what's
> > old. I tried subversion, but a svn server
> > with root privilege is required as daemon. So I wonder if there's a version
> > control system which I can run as a
> > normal user. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
>
> Depending on your needs git or rcs (perfect for single files). Git is
> what the use for kernel develoment ;)

I was surprised seeing rcs in the repos, given its age.

git is really handy. I don't know whether/how to install it without root
privileges, but I imagine it's possible.
--
Philipp

--
"Wir stehen selbst enttäuscht und sehn betroffen / Den Vorhang zu
und alle Fragen offen." Bertolt Brecht, Der gute Mensch von Sezuan