[arch-general] Patent protection

Kaiting Chen kaitocracy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 17:04:33 EST 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Armando M. Baratti <
ambaratti.listas at gmail.com> wrote:

> What you may not know is that, as Novell was part of OIN (Open Invention
> Network), those that join OIN *before* the closing date for the acquisition
> (about january 23) will be protected from any harassment regarding these
> patents.
> This [2] Groklaw's article explains it in more detail.
>
> It works because the patents are granted perpetually to OIN members that
> have jointed before the closing date, even in the case of a sell (like
> occurred in this case).
>
> You don't need to have patents or be a company to join (for free) OIN. Any
> project (like Arch Linux), or even an individual can do it.

I could be totally wrong here, but as far as I know "Arch Linux" doesn't
actually exist as a legal entity. I haven't had time to read the linked
articles, but if this is the case would it even be possible for us to join
the OIN? --Kaiting.

--
Kiwis and Limes: http://kaitocracy.blogspot.com/