[arch-general] VirtualBox_bin 3.12 - slow system freeze on i686, OK on x86_64

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 05:46:02 EST 2010

On 09-12-2010 06:39, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys, just a heads up for those that use virtualbox_bin from AUR:
>
>     I experienced a system freeze problem on a dell P4 box with
> VirtualBox-3.2.12 causing the machine to slowly freeze, become unresponsive,
> then hardlock. WinXP (guest) starts fine, but then it will freeze, followed by
> the kde taskbar, and then a minute or two later, the mouse and keyboard freeze
> and the box is locked. (hard reset required) I went through this lockup process
> twice to make sure. Downgrading to VirtualBox-3.2.10 solved the problem for me.
>
>     Prior to updating the i686 box, I did another VirtualBox-3.2.12 upgrade on a
> x86_64 box (XP guest as well), and all is working well. So it looks like it may
> be some issue or memory leak that is killing the i686 package. I (and others)
> have dropped notes with the AUR package.

Does the machine where it worked well support VT-x/AMD-V and is it enabled?

The only relevant info I can remember of is [1] and the link provided by
wonder [2]. Maybe that problem isn't completely fixed or it may be an
unrelated bug.

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=108103
[2] http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/7605

--