[arch-general] Howto Preserve Current Kernel through Update?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Dec 11 22:34:29 EST 2010

Guys,

	I want to keep the current kernel while I upgrade to 2.6.36-2 and where I
confused is how to use mkinitcpio to do this. What I think I can do to preserve
the current kernel as 2.6.36-dcr is:

(1) cp -a /lib/modules/2.6.36-ARCH /lib/modules/2.6.36-dcr
(2)

mkinitcpio -k 2.6.35-dcr \
-c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf \
-g /boot/kernel26-dcr.img

mkinitcpio -k 2.6.35-dcr \
-c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf \
-g /boot/kernel26-dcr-fallback.img \
-S autodetect

(3) update grub menu.lst and create entries for the dcr kernel

	Before I wasted too much time chasing my tail, I thought would put this out to
the list and see if (or what) I'm missing.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC