[arch-general] Testing kills shm and pts

Dwight Schauer dschauer at ti.com
Sun Dec 12 14:17:47 EST 2010

On 12/12/2010 12:37 PM, jesse jaara wrote:
> So I enabled testing, community-testing and kde-unstable
> updated yaourt -Syu and reebooted. Now when ever I boot the
> machine the /dev/shm and /dev/pts get mounted so that
> only root can write into them. So I cannot use shm as
> a normal user and no terminal emulator can create
> a /dev/pts/0 node.
>
> 2010/12/12 Kaiting Chen<kaitocracy at gmail.com>
>
>> Um what? You're going to need to be a little more specific. --Kaiting.

This is still very broad and not very specific. You updated to a lot of
packages from testing and unstable repositories. Since you updated so
many, it is difficult to track down which package caused this problem.

It would be good if you could say specifically what package you updated
to caused this problem.

Unless this is scratch system you are going to blow away, my advice is
that you boot with some other medium, mount this install, and use pacman
from the other medium to downgrade the install (after you have fixed
/etc/pacman.conf on the broken system).

If you want to continue down this path, once you are back to a normal
system, one at a time you could make these repositories higher priority,
update and reboot until it breaks, then fix again, then you'd have a
better idea what package it was that caused this problem.