[arch-general] Testing kills shm and pts

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Tue Dec 14 01:48:47 EST 2010

At Montag, 13. Dezember 2010 23:07 jesse jaara wrote:

> Reproducing is as simple as just rebooting the pc and the permissions
> are broken and shm is mounted whit beautiful size of mere 10 mb and it
> used to mount whit a size of 1.4G :D (it broke my chromium profile :( as it
> didn't fit in there )

The permissions makes me wonder because with my line

devpts  /dev/pts devpts  defaults  0 0

the permissions of /dev/pts looks like this

# ls -l /dev/pts/
insgesamt 0
crw--w---- 1 user tty 136, 0 14. Dez 06:02 0
crw------- 1 user tty 136, 1 14. Dez 07:28 1
crw------- 1 user tty 136, 2 14. Dez 07:28 2
crw------- 1 user tty 136, 3 14. Dez 07:41 3
[root ~]
# ls -l -d /dev/pts/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 14. Dez 06:00 /dev/pts/
# grep pts /proc/mounts
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

> Il try to add those options and the size option too to the fstab and see if
> that helps, hopely this won't eat my chromium profile again :D

Only as an info for an alternative: I never used /dev/shm for this and prefer to
do such things in /tmp to seperate it and here my lines in the fstab:

shm     /dev/shm tmpfs   defaults,rw,nosuid,noexec,size=32m  0 0
tmpfs   /tmp     tmpfs   defaults,rw,mode=1777               0 0

All my favorite browser (opera, firefox and chromium) have their cache inside of
/tmp but i don't use a script for copying the profile.

Good luck, Attila