[arch-general] postfix/procmail unable to write to /var/spool/mail/$USER

Matthew Gyurgyik pyther at pyther.net
Sat Dec 18 21:17:56 EST 2010

On 12/18/2010 08:42 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> 	I'm stuck on mail setup with a procmail error saying it can't write to
> /var/spool/mail/$USER. It is a postfix error, but it is complaining about
> procmail. An example of the error is:
>
> Dec 18 19:10:37 localhost postfix/local[2104]: E238BE7E78:
> to=<david at mymailaddress>, relay=local, delay=1.2, delays=0.14/0.04/0/1,
> dsn=5.2.0, status=bounced (can't create user output file. Command output:
> procmail: Error while writing to "/var/spool/mail/david" )
>
> 	I'm fairly certain it is a user permission problem, but I can't recall ever
> changing anything before on my other setups to get procmail working. In this
> current config, /etc/postfix/main.cf has:
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION"
>
> 	The permission for /var/spool/mail are the exact same I have on my x86_64 Arch
> server at home where procmail is working just fine:
>
> [19:27 phoenix:/var/spool/mail] # l
> total 386772
> drwxrwxrwt 2 root       root            4096 Dec 18 19:13 .
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root       root            4096 Dec 18 16:54 ..
> -rw------- 1 david      dcr        362640748 Dec 18 19:05 david
> <snip>
>
> 	Just as with that box, I moved the mail spool from the suse install to the new
> install, so I don't think that would be the issue here. Anybody have any idea
> why postfix/procmail can't write to /var/spool/mail?

Maybe you could use LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from (read man procmail) to get a
better idea of what is going on.

Maybe you can get rid of the annoyingly long signature. arch-general is
a public list for crying out loud!

Maybe you need to spend a bit more time with your problems before
posting on the ML. Use the bbs for general support questions. You've had
4 threads in the past 3 days! You by far are responsible for the most
new topics each month!

Spend more time thinking about how you can troubleshoot things and
provide more information when you do post. In many of your threads you
reply to your orginal within 15-30 minutes!

BTW maybe you should use something on your servers you can manage. Your
http server has been broken for at least two days.

Lastly many of things you post about are upstearm bugs (your dhcp
thread). Look at
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/ see if the
package in question uses any patches and if not report upstream, not
downstream!

Please stop spamming the list.