[arch-general] Removing unused locales?

Thomas Bahn Thomas-Bahn at gmx.net
Wed Dec 29 14:23:05 EST 2010

Am Mittwoch 29 Dezember 2010, 20:10:19 schrieb Nicolás Reynolds:
> Hi, it occurred to me today to check how much disk space /usr/share/locale
> was using on my system. Turned out to be 449.43M, though I only use en and
> es locales, which are in the code in the first case and ~13M in the
> second.
>
> Would it make sense to remove the extra ones? I mean, I don't think anyone
> will switch back and forth that many languages (220 on my system), but it
> would be just stupid to make extra i18n packages for everything... so,
> should pacman remove the unneeded languages on package installation?

Hi Nicolás,

you find localepurge in the AUR. It removes unneccessary locales from your
system everytime you execute it. configuration is done in a config-file, so you
easy can call localepurge without any options.

Sure, purge the locales not automagically done by pacman, but it does its job
as you requested. Mybe its suitable for you.