[arch-general] An old, tiresome discussion: cdrtools vs cdrkit - tone it down

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Feb 1 03:17:58 EST 2010

"Armando M. Baratti" <ambaratti.listas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Strange, I have had the opposite experience.
> Trying to burn some CDs with cdrkit (on CentOS) give some problem with
> not being able to generate Joliet system and I have had trouble with
> utf-8 too.
>
> First I thought I was making some stupid mistake, but changing to
> cdrtools (from sourceforge repository) fixed that.
>
> Well, it was in another distro, but by what I've read in this thread it
> seems to make sense now.

There is nothing strange and this does not depend on the distro you are using.

The fork does not handle UTF-8 correctly.

BTW: the whole dispute with Debian started with an attempt from a Debian
paketizer to make me integrate a non-working UTF-8 patch into mkisofs in May
2004. This patch was full of bugs and even if it did have no bugs, it would
only handle 50% of the cases that need support for UTF-8.

This broken patch is still in the fork, but in Summer 2006 I did implement
working and complete UTF-8 support for mkisofs.

There is however no cdrtools at Sourceforge, cdrtools is at Berlios ;-)

Jörg