[arch-general] Libraries should also be built statically

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Feb 1 07:11:20 EST 2010

Hi,

I had this issue only twice by now, but I think this is a general
problem.

In the recent times libraries in the repos are only built dynamically
while the statical versions are disabled.

This can lead to several problems if someone needs to compile a program
and needs to link statically against a library. This is not possible
with only dynamical libraries. So people are not able to compile their
programs unless they rebuild the necessay libraries from ABS.

This is much worse with AUR packages which are compiled and installed
by several other people.

This issue was at least in freetype2 and is now in libjpeg. In
freetype2 this was fixed. I hope in libjpeg this will also be fixed.

See these feature requests:
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11016
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/18106

I could file such a feature request for every single package I find,
but I think this should be a general rule to build libraries not only
dynamically but also statically. This would avoid breakages of other
packages even if AUR is unofficial and save time. And it doesn't take
much disk space because it's usually only a small additional file.

Greetings,
Heiko