[arch-general] core/linux-api-headers?

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 07:35:56 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 21:08 +1030, Ty John wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:08:33 +0800
> Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So it can mean two very different things.
> > >
> > > Which means that the exact background of the question
> > > 'Replace kernel-headers by api-headers ?' is unclear,
> > > and that the OP had good reason to ask what it meant.
> > > Pacman did *not* tell him this was just a rename.
> >
> > Oh nono, $replaces isn't used like that. When for instance you have
> > deleted a package and brought in a new one with a different name,
> > often due to a name change (upstream or not), you need to make sure
> > pacman will know and seamlessly "update" to the new package.
> > Sometimes, projects go defunct and forks become active.
> >
> > Asking the user to answer the question resolves one big thing:
> >
> > 1) He will not complain later; he won't be freaked out when he finds
> > one of his packages is missing and/or the system has something he
> > can't recall installing.
> >

> > --
> > GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD
>

> I understand what you are saying but it comes back to KISS ideals.
> The Arch user should know exactly what's happening to their system and
> not just let everything happen automagically.

Does that preclude informing them? Not everyone is subscribed to
[arch-dev-public], and that's probably the only place I heard of the
switch from kernel-headers to linux-api-headers before it actually
happened, both in [testing] and [core].

I see a distinction between 'knowing what's happening to your system'
and 'having to find out the hard way what needs changing'.