[arch-general] Libraries should also be built statically

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Feb 1 09:14:27 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 14:59 +0100, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:58:24 +1000
> schrieb Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
>
> > I disagree.  Static libraries generally suck and hide rebuilds needed
> > for security issues.  So unless something specifically needs the
> > static library, I think it should be removed.
>
> Such rebuilds are only hidden if a program is linked statically against
> a library even if it can be linked dynamically, which should be avoided
> anyway. If a program is linked dynamically it doesn't touch the static
> library.

If a program is built static against an insecure library, upgrading the
insecure library means the static binary is still vulnerable. That's
what Allan means.

> So if a dev, TU or AUR maintainer builds a package which depends on a
> library. This package should usually be linked dynamically against this
> library. In this case the static library isn't needed. But if such a
> package like fbsplash needs to be statically linked against a library
> it's only possible if the static version is available.

When we switch to glibc-based initramfs, there shouldn't be any need for
static compiled binaries anymore, ever.

> And other people who probably just want to write software for their
> own, who want to build a portable app or to learn programming or
> whatever and want or need to use statical linking can't do this without
> the static libraries.

Static binaries are everything but portable. Static linking to glibc can
freak out when you're using nss_* libraries for uid and gid resolving.

> And do you want everybody who needs the static version of a library for
> whatever reason to file a bug report for every single case and to
> explain why he needs this static version?

No, they shouldn't need those libraries.

> That would take too much time while building a static library doesn't
> take much more time and disk space.

Static libraries are bad. Besides taking up diskspace, they're just bad
to use. Ulrich Drepper has a nice PDF about this.