[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 10:23:45 EST 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 15:59 +0100, ludovic coues wrote:
> 2010/2/1 Emmanuel Benisty <benisty.e at gmail.com>
>
> > On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan <lists at itech7.com>
> > wrote:
> > > How to install multiple kernels using pacman ?
> > >
> > > Arch should do something like Fedora/Redhat. Maintain 1-2 previous
> > kernels
> > > so that if a new one is buggy, then the old one can be used.
> >
> > QFT.
> >
> > WAIT WHAT?
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/kernel26-lts/
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/x86_64/kernel26-lts/
> >

> lts is not for everyday desktop usage.
>
> By the way,  there should be a way to get older with something like that
> pacman -S kernel26-2.6.32.6-1
>
> In my mind, when package version is specified, pacman look if the asked
> version is in the repo, and get it if there is such a version.
> Lot of app would only provide the current version, but some critical app,
> like kernel, could provide one or two older version. Just by letting them in
> the repo.
>
> But maybe I'm totally wrong, and this will not work cause every kernel
> module work only with the current one.

Two words: rolling release.

Once kernel26-2.6.32.7-1 is in [core], mirrors will not have
kernel26-2.6.32.6-1 anymore. This is one of the central ideas about
Arch, that everyone is running basically the same system with different
beads on top. kernel26-lts is there for those who want stability (in
which case they should use their own kernel26-custom, and perhaps
shouldn't use Arch at all). Kernel modules and the like are all
targetted for the current kernel in [core], its a tremendous duplication
to have to keep versions for all of those, too.

In summary, yes you're totally wrong, and no, its not for the reason you
think.