[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Tom uebershark at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:48:14 EST 2010

> Mantaining multiple kernels would only add overhead on developers'
> work, and bloating /boot.

I don't really get that. I'm no expert in using pacman or writing
PKGBUILDs, but I can very readily imagine a mechanism that on each
rolling release update to the kernel, moves the current kernel on the
users system to say 'kernel-previous', and puts the update in place for
'kernel'.
Add a line to grub to reflect the two kernel-versions (current and
previous) and handle this with symlinks so that the actual kernel +
libs and so on can have version names.

On the other hand, I have never had a kernel-update completely break my
system, so the question really is, if automation of such functionality
is needed.
After all, you really should compile your own kernels, and keep backups
around just in case you break something there yourself...

IMHO

Tom