[arch-general] Arch Linux and security - it needs some work

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Feb 1 16:21:03 EST 2010

Am Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:17:51 -0500
schrieb Carlos Williams <carloswill at gmail.com>:

> How does Arch Linux far behind in security as compared to Debian.
> Perhaps I caught this conversation late but I would like to know what
> makes Debian better in aspects of security -vs- Arch? Can anyone
> please explain?

Debian keeps extremely outdated package versions in its repos -
for "stability" *cough* - and needs to patch all of these packages
regularly to fix the whole security bugs of these outdated packages. So
they need a separate security team.

Arch Linux is bleeding edge, is at least not much less if not
more stable than Debian, because it usually only installs stable
upstream releases, and therefore has always the latest upstream
security fixes.

If a security bug is found it should be filed to and fixed by upstream
anyway.

Greetings,
Heiko