[arch-general] core/linux-api-headers?

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:54:22 EST 2010

On 2 February 2010 05:29, Ty John <ty-ml at eye-of-odin.com> wrote:
> I'm not subscribed to it either and I must admit that I was a bit
> surprised when I saw the message while updating.
> I may be wrong but I believe pacman is limited in the way it produces
> informing messages in that it can only do so in a post install script.
> Am I right?

I have always stood by the belief that our guys know what they're
doing, and nothing has ever happened. I always trust pacman, but in
the rare cases where I doubt it, I just check the frontpage. If
something goes berserk, you just file a bug report.

On 2 February 2010 05:36, Brendan Long <korin43 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds like the real problem is pacman's message then. My suggestion:
> change "package x has been replaced by package y" to "package x has been
> renamed package y".

It's explained very well in the PKGBUILD manual:

replaces (array)
           An array of packages that this package should replace, and
can be used to handle renamed/combined packages. For example, if the
j2re package is renamed to jre, this directive allows future upgrades
to continue as expected even though the package has moved. Sysupgrade
is currently the only pacman operation that utilizes this field, a
normal sync will not use its value.

Renaming isn't the only case, there can be a set of tools that becomes
a "replacement" for one tool, and vice-versa.

The final authority on this would be the pacmen, so send in a patch to
the pacman list.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD